With Culture Project 3 the malts and hops used are very similar to Culture Project I. The big difference here is that we used a lager yeast strain for primary fermentation. The purpose for this is that lager fermentation is slower than ale fermentation (For Culture I we used Saison ale strain) which gives us more control over when we introduce the other (wild) bugs. We introduced the Brettanomyces, Lacto, & Pedio when there was still enough sugar left so they would have some food to metabolize and create acid & flavor compounds. Which, allowed us to achieve the desired acidity and flavors we were seeking. We also aged this beer for almost twice as long as culture I (over 24 months).
The result is an extremely complex beer with a reddish/amber hue and pleasant acidity. Notes of dark cherry, fig, stone fruit, tropical fruit, & oak.